Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sadie Barbara Alkema!

Sadie came a couple weeks early and was born on May 24th and weighed in at 7 lbs 12 oz and was 20.5 inches long. We are so stinking excited words cannot explain it. She is the most precious thing in the world! If you want the gory details read below, if not just enjoy the pics!



Right after she was born.
Look at all her hair!! I look at her and think, this isn't my child.

So I hadn't had any braxton-hicks contractions of any kind until about three days before I had her. At first I thought I just wasn't feeling well and I went to the doctor and he was the one to say, "oh look you are having a contraction right now" for me to know what the heck was going on. I've never had contractions before, how should I know? Anyway they got progressively more frequent over the next few days. Well by Friday night around 2 am the contractions were to the point where I was moaning a little bit to get through them. So I felt bad about keeping Ryan up, so I went out to the living room to "deal with it". They were fairly regular but I didn't want to get all worked up for nothing. Well around 4 am I noted a slow, steady leak that I wanted to ignore, but had the feeling it was amionic fluid. It totally was, but did I wake Ryan? No, he's got a fun day planned with his family in town, and I didn't want to ruin anything. Plus did I mention I was supposed to have a baby shower that morning at 10 am? So I sat in the bathroom suffering with contractions that were, in reality, about 5 minutes apart but I REALLY didn't want to bother him and I really wanted to go to my shower! I knew his alarm was going to off at around 6 am and I could totally wait. Well by the time Ryan woke up they were about 3 minutes apart and WAY OUCHY! So he's packing the bags like crazy, calling the doctor, running around to get ready and I'm telling him I'm fine, and he should eat some breakfast. Anyway, we got to the hospital around 6:40 and I'm wanting my epidural right away now, but the anesthesiologist didn't get around to it until 9 am. I progressed quickly as I was dialated to a 2 at 7 am and by 10 am I was dialated to an 8. Well she was born after only 45 minutes of pushing at about 1 pm. Not bad eh? Yay for Sadie!

20 comments:

kenders said...

Wow! I'm surprised I'm the first to comment on this special occasion. Congratulations! That's so exciting! It sounds like everything went well. That's funny that you didn't want to wake up Ryan. And she does have a ton of hair! She's adorable! :)

Steph said...

Yay!!!!! You have your new little baby girl!!! That's so exciting! What was her original due date? Glad everything went well, you crack me up miss... "I'm fine, eat breakfast"....lol. I'm so excited to meet our little guy.

Christie said...

Congratulations Erna!!! A Baby! You had a baby!! WEeeeeeee! What a funny story about you waiting to get him up. You're too cute! Love ya bunches babe, good luck with the schweet heart. *Kisses*

pdcardon said...

HOLY COW!!! Raeanna is going to be ticked that she didn't get to see this first. Sadie is so beautiful, great work. I can't believe how tough you are, too. We are so happy for you guys, and we are especially happy that everyone is healthy. Be sure to give Ryan a huge hug from me.

Raeanna said...

WOW Amazing!!! You are awesome! So did you have the epideral or not? She is beautiful! We love you!

Melanie Herway said...

You are crazy...I can't believe you waited that long!
Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats, congrats. She is absolutely beautiful and I am awe struck at her gorgeous set of hair. I'll call you soon to see how you're doing.

Unknown said...

Congrats!!! What a beautiful baby! I love her hair. Glad it all went well.

Drea said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! She is SO beautiful!! Jeff and I are so excited for your new little angel and can't wait to see you all again!!

Jess and Matt said...

WOw, so exciting! Congratulations you guys! She is so beautiful and we LOVE her dark hair! What a tough girl you are Erin, way to go! Love you guys and hope you are doing well!

Robbie said...

Congrats! She is beautiful, and has tons of hair. Wow, you are a trooper Erin. I would have been kicking my husband out of bed to go get the epidural. We are way excited for you two and can't wait to meet Sadie in person.

L'erin said...

I LOVE hearing labor stories! You are too sweet to your husb. What he really needs is to squeeze a watermellon out his nose to begin to understand. I will buy two at the store today, one for Ryan one for Dustin. Congratulations! I hope you can recover quickly. Take advatage of help and free meals!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! She is adorable. Newborns are so much fun and small, enjoy everything, even the newborn cries, they grow up too fast.

Brooke said...

Congrats, I'm glad everything went so well!

jacksonhaleywarrenandhaus said...

You are an amazing woman youll be such a great mom. Im soo happy for you guys, its crazy how you can love something so much but we do.

Unknown said...

p.s. You're crazy! Please, next child, wake Ryan up! I know how you feel about obligations though. Jackson arrived the same day we were moving and the next Monday I was having a baby shower. By the way, your pain tolerance must be superhuman. Congrats! She's adorable!

Jenae said...

We are so pumped for you guys! Sadie is such a lucky girl to be born to you two! Good work, she is beautiful! Amazing isn't it, giving birth to another soul?!

andy and cami said...

Look at that hair! She's Beautiful! I can't believe how good you look after giving birth. Congrats guys! -Cami

Matt and Debbie said...

Holy Smokes!! I can't believe I haven't checked your blog before now!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! She is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I absolutely love that hair!! What an amazing little family!!

Sara G said...

Woweees! I love all that dark beautiful hair! Congrats! We def need to come down and visit.

Anonymous said...

Erin and Ryan she is just do beautiful. Congratulations!